Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0

Travelogue: London - The Wonderful World of Harry Potter

Posted on Monday, March 11, 2013

It's been a while since I've done a post on my travels in Europe last December! Somehow it feels like we were in London forever, but we really were only there for 9 days. Still, the thing you've got to love about big cities is you never run out of things to do. I've been here 3 times in the past 4 years and somehow the city always feels new, the activities, endless.

27th December was our much hyped The Making of Harry Potter tour! We took an hour's journey out of London to breathe in our fill of Harry Potter mania on...




A HP themed bus of course!


Such excitement queuing up to begin our tour!!


The actual set where they filmed the great hall scenes! Obviously, the ceiling was fake (don't know why I was hoping otherwise).

Afterwards, it's free and easy walking around the exhibition of all things HP!



We see everything from Hagrid's hut to animatronic Buckbeaks! Take way too many photos which are pointless really, because the fun is seeing them in real life. Another thing I liked about the tour is how they showed some of the movie magic that went on behind the scenes. Truly fascinating and genius how they made everything come to life, even though part of me wants to wail, "you mean it wasn't real???"

Half time pit stop for some BUTTERBEER! Albeit we walk into the very obvious tourist trap, we had to try it. It tasted like a caramel root beer float, delicious, but disappointing because I thought it would be warm, like how it always is in the books.


Props and make up! Interesting, but not my favourite section.


 Diagon alley is indoors! What a shame :(


BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT. THE CASTLE WASN'T REAL. They used this extremely detailed mini sculpture to do the sweeping shots and added flying Harry's / Dragons on top in layers :(


Stopping by the souvenir shop at the end! The cheapest thing was... nothing. Nothing was cheap! I guess this is a true test of your fan-dom, but I really wasn't willing to shell out £8.00 for one tiny packet of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans.

Dueling on the bus with replicas of Harry Potter's and Lord Voldemort's wands. Guess the man behind thought we were pretty weird.

And that pretty much sums up how we spent most of our day! We paid £55.00 each for the tour + bus ride there and back. Now that I think about it, it's actually quiteeee expensive! It amazes me how the movie series is over, but they still manage to make money off us fans, but I guess everyone's happy, so it's win-win, right?

Discussion