Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0

Hello, Hallstatt

Posted on Sunday, December 15, 2013

Hallstatt is a bus, a train and boat ride away from the nearest city in Austria, Salzburg. It's a stunning, albeit sleepy town trapped in a funny limbo between the mountains and lake, untouched and unreal. It snows non-stop when we are there, and I don't think I've ever been colder anywhere else. When we first saw the colourful buildings nestled at the foot of the mountain across the lake, we couldn't believe it was real. The ferry ride across reminded me of something from a Hayao Miyazaki film, like we were going into another fantasy dimension. Anyway, I'm afraid my pictures don't do the town itself much justice - Hallstatt is something you have to see with your own eyes - it's a place where man and nature work hand in hand to be truly amazing. Winter berries. Why are they so red?

Discussion