Seoul Visual Diary - Part 3 (Tour to the DMZ!)
Posted on Tuesday, June 2, 2015
Good morning! It was the day I was looking forward to the most for our Seoul holiday - our tour to the DMZ!
I booked the tour online at www.dmztours.com a month before we went to Seoul. If you book it any earlier than that they will tell you to book it only a month before the tour date because that's when they get their military training schedule (at the DMZ).
Really glad E-main was super game to come along for the DMZ tour since it's a little offbeat for a trip to Seoul, but I find the whole situation with North Korea fascinating and this tour was definitely one of the main reasons why I wanted to come to Seoul!

We wake up bright and early at 6:00am when the temperature was 4 degrees Celsius (Winter is that you?) to make our way to the Plaza Seoul Hotel for the 7:30am tour pick up - the nearest to our Airbnb since the tour picks you from hotels only.
Another reason why I chose this tour because a) It was the only one that replied promptly when I emailed to make a reservation b) The contact person actually gave suggestions on the nearest hotel to our airbnb to make it easier for us.


After an hour of driving around Seoul and picking up more fellow tour groupies, we finally start heading to towards the DMZ!


Once we pick up the last group of people, it's about a 15-20min drive to our first pitstop - surprisingly near to Seoul. There are military guard houses every few hundred meters and the fences get higher and higher the nearer you get to the DMZ. Our tour guide tells us if you cross the fence that the guards have every right to shoot you on sight.

This is the furthest highway to the North before it has to U-turn back to South Korea. Not included in the tour, but our tour guide decides to bring us to drive through it!
At the checkpoint into the DMZ, there is a long line of buses (Saturday is the worst day to go to the DMZ apparently), but somehow our tour guide is super well connected - he claims he has been to the DMZ 600 times - more than any tour guide in the world - and knows all the managers etc. He proves this by basically getting our bus driver to drive up another path in front of all the other buses - like a VIP entry - and a guard comes on board to check our passports... Then we're in!


First stop - Imjingak Park where our tour guide has to stop at to buy us tickets to get into the tunnels, museum and all. So, so many tourists here. Take a look at the photo above to get an idea of just how many people there were!!!
The boyfriend was not too happy when I first told him I wanted to go to the DMZ, but I think it's pretty safe and seriously touristy - hell there were tons of school kids here.



E-main and I decide to chill at some roadside coffee shop. I get a surprisingly yummy morning cuppa and E-main decides to try a silk worm for fun ahahaha. What a weirdo!!! She has to drink some of my coffee afterwards to get the taste out :'D

A bit more driving, closed off toll booths to North Korea, through winding hills and past active mine fields with only wired gates to separate us and them. There are gutters, to catch the mines if they slip out during a rainy day so it won't blow up the road. Great.


We reach our second pitstop which we spend quite some time at! This seemingly inconspicuous building is the entrance to the 3rd Infiltration Tunnel in which the North Korean soldiers dug in an attempt to invade South Korea during the Korean War. Once again, we saunter past long, long lines of Chinese tourists thanks to our tour guide!
I get separated from my tour group (and E-main!) because I have to go to the toilet - thanks coffee - and everyone goes ahead into the tunnel without claustrophobic me gah. But I figure I can't have come all the way here to NOT go in, so I somehow sneak in with a Chinese tour group, put on a helmet and walk into the tunnel alone.
No pictures are allowed inside, but it basically looks like a dark and dank tunnel of stone.
At first it's really big and wide, enough to fit at least 4-5 people side by side, then it narrows down till only 2 people can stand side by side. By this point I start feeling seriously uncomfortable, so luckily it's a two way street and I can turn back! I tried to follow another English tour group (the part I was most annoyed about wasn't having to face my fears alone but more of missing information and stories about the tunnel), but their tour guide has a terribly heavy Korean accent which I couldn't catch much of what she was saying (our tour guide was Korean but had a strong American accent).


But yay! Glad I had at least seen most of the cave. I decided the best place to wait would be by our tour bus since everyone will eventually come here, right? However, half an hour passes (which is a really long time to wait when you have no internet or entertainment) and no one comes back. Can the tunnel be that deep? Finally, E-main messages me and tells me they went to the museum, which is in another block directly opposite the tunnel building and yay, I am reunited with the tour group! Also forever then on known as the girl who got lost lolol.

Luckily I didn't miss much on the museum tour, we have a mini history lesson on the Korean war, North Korean leaders etc. and also watch a slightly odd 8 minute propaganda video about the DMZ.

Next up, the Dorasan Observatory, where we get a chance to peek into North Korea! Oh, I do have a picture of our tour guide, hello!


Despite how crowded it looks, we didn't have much trouble fining a spyglass to peer through. It costs 500won (about 50cents) for 2 minutes and we were blessed with clear skies!

You can see how it looks so brown and bare in North Korea, and lush and green on the South Korean side. This is because wood is still the main source of fuel for North Korea, and they cut all the forests down! Also, can you spy the Korean flag in the middle of the two zones? The pole is super high up for us to be able to see it from this distance.


Spent so long taking photos we didn't realise it was time to go back to the tour bus, oops. Everyone was seated inside by the time we got back. Gawd, we're those people!!! (But everyone was really nice about it hahaha).



Next stop, the Dorasan Station! The last station of South Korea. It was intended to link to North Korea (as you can see by the signs of "trains" going to Pyeongyang. Obviously, that's not happening anytime soon, but they keep the station open as a tourist attraction and in partial hopes that one day the North does open up.


Our tour guide tells us that we can buy tickets for the train for just 500won (S$0.50~), and if the station ever opens up, we can use these tickets to take a train ride over to North Korea! I buy two, one for Justin and one for me. On hindsight I should have bought more just cause it's a pretty cool souvenir and like damn cheap.

After Dorasan Station, our tour guide takes us on a special extension near the DMZ to see the special Heaven Ginseng farms. Apparently there's some special soil here, but the ginseng takes 6 whole years to grow and if it isn't from here, it ain't "Heaven" Ginseng.

Our tour guide shows us this home, and the owner is apparently effing rich from selling Heaven Ginseng. I mean, look at his house!


Souvenir shopping time! I buy North Korean Soju as a souvenir, Ginseng wine and Royal Soya Bean Sauce (apparently they grow the Royal soya beans here as well which is was for the Royal family?)

It's about an hour or so drive back to the city! We stop back where we first started - at the Plaza Hotel Seoul. Our tour guide announces that the tour is officially over, but we are welcome to join him for Korean BBQ lunch a short walk away from the hotel. It's 3pm+ by then so we were more than happy to follow. Most of our tour group does - the restaurant was basically empty before we all came.

So the meat is different from the Korean Barbecue we had the day before. This one's much thinner, like shabu shabu. We have the option to choose between two flavours: normal and spicy; so we pick both! I like spicy, but E-main likes normal, so it all works out well!


While I still prefer the other Korean BBQ we had, this was still a really nice meal! I didn't think much of the banchan (the little side dishes), though.
Like shabu shabu, the meat was tender yet springy, and tasted sweet yet savoury, but lacked the juicy appeal of a really thick slab of pork.

After dropping off all our souvenirs and taking a break back at our Airbnb, we're back out again to Myeongdong to do some proper beauty shopping!

Gosh it's so crowded. The last time we came (around 9pm) the streets were much emptier and much more pleasant. Not to mention it was a Saturday, so we were fighting the sea of people all the way!

E-main made the wise choice of buying this street food snack - so adorable! A breaded 3D fish holds a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream in it's mouth. The ice cream is peppered with matcha powder and dollops of fresh honeycomb. Such a great combo, and really photogenic too! The booth is along the same street as Migliore (a nice mall with cheap-ish clothes) and next to the giant leafy wall's of Nature's Republic.
After we run out of money (surprisingly quickly), we have dinner - fried chicken again because I love to get a second opinion. A quick google for "Fried Chicken, Myeongdong" gives me Two Two Fried Chicken, which is a hole-in-the-wall, dingy and slightly dirty joint - perfect for fried food.

Korean beer for us, of course. We order Hite and Cass, and just nice E-main and I prefer the different brands respectively, so it works out once again!


We order the mixed platter of Original and the Garlic Soy Sauce flavour (around 17,000won or S$20.00+ for the whole platter). Personally, I don't find Korean Fried chicken "wow" or anything - the skin of the chicken is crispy, but thin, and they literally eat just chicken and some coleslaw for the whole meal, so after a while it gets a little tiring of the same taste in your mouth.


The cute thing is they have a bin for your bones; and it's so Korean to use two forks to eat your fried chicken - not your hands.




It seems that a lot of food blogs recommend this place, and I would too if you want an "authentic" Korean Fried Chicken experience. I personally would still rather take KFC any day over this though, or even Four Fingers Chicken here in Singapore, haha. But still, always good to try new things right?
Thanks for reading this long post guys, and if you haven't already, feel free to read what else we'd been up to for our Korean adventures for Day 1 and Day 2!
Discussion
Post a Comment